Department of the Environment, Land and Legal Division, 1970-1976
Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation, Highways (Trunk Roads) Division, 1953-1955
Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation, Highways General Division, 1955-1956
Ministry of Transport and Civil Aviation, Highways Land and Closures Division, 1956-1959
Ministry of Transport, Highways (Trunk Roads) Division, 1946-1953
Ministry of Transport, Highways Group 4, Land and Legal Division, 1964-1970
Ministry of Transport, Highways Land and Closures Division, 1959-1960
Ministry of Transport, Highways Lands and Contract Group, Highways Land and Development Division, 1960-1960
Open unless otherwise stated
Immediate source of acquisition:
Department of Transport , in 1991
Series is accruing
Administrative / biographical background:
Following the passage of the Trunk Roads Act of 1936, responsibility for a national network of routes for principal roads was transferred from local authorities to the Ministry of Transport, though county and county borough councils carried out detailed management on an agency basis.
The Roads Department which had direct control for all highway matters exercised by the Ministry. In 1937 the Department was dissolved and responsibility for trunk roads and land acquisition was transferred to the section of the newly created Highways Division. In 1940 the Highways Division was amalgamated with parts of the Traffic and Safety Division to form Highways Administration. In 1946 responsibility for trunk roads and land acquisition was allocated to the newly created Highways (Trunk Roads) Division, which was one of three divisions created from Highways Administration and formed part of the Highways Administration Group.
In March 1955, under a departmental reorganisation of the Highways Administration Group, land acquisition and management was allocated to the newly created Highways general Division. In June 1956, following a further reorganisation of the group, responsibility was transferred to the newly created Highways Land and Closures Division. With the start of the motorways programme in the 1950's the scope of the files functions was expanded to include motorways.
By June 1960 the division had become part of Highways Group as a result of a fragmentation of the Highways Administration Group. Shortly after this the Highways Administration Group was further reorganised and land matters became the province of Highways Land and Development Division of the Lands and Contracts Group.
In 1964 responsibility was transferred under a further reorganisation to the Highways Land and Legal Division of Highways Group 4. In April 1967 the regional road construction units were set up and they acquired the functions and the files of Highways Land and Legal Division.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know