The records consist of the minutes of the Governors of the Schools (A/NWC/1-17), admission registers (A/NWC/19, 53, 54); papers concerning Mrs Newcomen's will and a subsequent legal case between the Wardens of St. Saviour's and her godson, Thomas Lant (A/NWC/20, 48); and the administration of the property which forms the endowment of the charity. (A/NWC/21-46)
1674 - 1957
See also records of the parish of St. Saviour Southwark (P92/SAV).
These records were deposited in the former London County Record Office in 1952 (AC 52.3/P.92/SAV)
Administrative / biographical background:
In 1674 Elizabeth Newcomen, a widow of the parish of St. Saviour, Southwark, died, leaving a large estate in trust for her godson during his lifetime, and after his death as an endowment for charitable uses in the parish. These included charity schools for boys and girls. The earliest records surviving date from 1706. The schools were run by the Wardens and a Committee who could nominate children for places at the school. From 1808 - 1840 the Newcomen Schools were united with the parochial schools, but in 1840 the Boys' school separated from the parochial school and by 1849 the Girls' school had followed.
From 1887 the schools were administered by the Governors of the Newcomen Foundation, after the charity was re established by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners. The Girls' School became Elizabeth Newcomen Secondary Technical School, which closed in 1970.