Many of these are the records of the Courts of General Surveyors and Augmentations relating to revenues accruing to the Crown following the Dissolution of the monastries, colleges and chantries in the 1530s and 1540s. They include earlier records of these ecclesiastical institutions which also came to the Crown. Also included, however, are records relating to the administration of the Crown lands from the abolition of the Court of Augmentations in 1554 to the early nineteenth century: records of the Pipe Office, the auditors of the land revenue and of the various commissioners and trustees for the sale of Crown lands and fee-farm rents during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Finally there are a very few records of the Augmentation Office of the Exchequer in which these collections were deposited from 1554.
Records relating to the dissolution of the monasteries are in E 322, and of the colleges and chantries in E 301. Numerous original deeds are in E 303, E 313, E 326-E 330
Administrative and legal records of the Courts of General Surveyors and Augmentations are in E 314, E 315, E 321, E 323, E 325
Leases granted upon Crown lands, and associated documentation, are in E 299, E 300 and E 309-E 312; deeds of purchase and exchange are in E 305. Particulars for grants of Crown lands are in E 318 and E 319 and of concealed lands in E 302. Documents associated with the Commonwealth sales of Crown lands are in E 304, E 317 and E 320; and of fee-farm rents in E 307 and E 308. Accounts of sales of woods are in E 325. Particulars for grants of offices are in E 316
Records relating to the estates of the queens consort, and of their councils, are in E 298; those of the Duchy of Cornwall are in E 306
The only surviving records of the Augmentation Office itself will be found in E 324
There are some original finding aids in E 276