Catalogue description Board of Trade: Timber Disposal Department and predecessors: Files

Search within or browse this series to find specific records of interest.

Date range

Details of BT 71
Reference: BT 71
Title: Board of Trade: Timber Disposal Department and predecessors: Files

Before May 1917 these are records of the Timber Committee of the Office of Works the Home Grown Timber Committee of the Board of Agriculture and the Controller of Timber Supplies of the War Office. After May 1917 they are records of the Timber Supplies Department of the Board of Trade, and later of the Timber Disposal Department which succeeded it.

The series contains files, original contracts and other records of the war-time departments established to operate control of the requisition, distribution and use of timber.

Date: 1916-1920

Both box and file numbers should be given when ordering a record.

Related material:

For other files relating to home grown timber see BT 15

For records of the Home Grown Timber Committee see F 36

Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Language: English

Board of Agriculture, Home-Grown Timber Committee, 1915-1917

Board of Trade, Timber Disposal Department, 1918-1922

Board of Trade, Timber Supply Department, 1917-1918

War Office, Directorate of Timber Supplies, 1917-1917

Physical description: 21 box(es)
Administrative / biographical background:

On 1 March 1917 the coalfields were taken over by the government and the production, distribution and price of coal, the management and development of collieries and the employment of miners were made subject to the direction of a coal controller, who worked through a Coal Mines Department of the board. It was wound up in 1920, when its remaining functions passed to the Mines Department.

The Home Grown Timber Committee was set up in the Board of Agriculture on 24 November 1915 to increase the supply for military needs. At first its work was confined to supplying timber to the army in France. To this end it purchased woods and erected sawmills, partly by labour directly engaged for the purpose, partly by battalions of the Canadian Forestry Corps.

In April 1916 the committee was given power to acquire standing timber compulsorily, to purchase and convert standing timber, to supply such timber to government departments and generally to make arrangements for the further utilisations of native timber resources.

On the 31 March 1917 it was absorbed by the Directorate of Timber Supplies established in that month under the Finance Member of the War Office. In May 1917 the directorate was transferred to the Board of Trade where it became the Timber Supply Department under a Controller of Timber Supplies. When the war ended it was replaced by a Timber Disposal Department which disposed of the stocks and equipment remaining from its former operations. The directorate was wound up in 1922.

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research