This record is held by London Metropolitan Archives: City of London

Details of ACC/3639
Reference: ACC/3639

This collection consists of agendas, cash books, sales records, production records and wages records of Maudslay Sons and Field Ltd, marine and mechanical engineers and boiler makers

Date: 1889 - 1904
Related material:

Other records relating to Maudslay, Sons and Field Limited are held by the Science Museum Library. They include a portfolio of photographs of marine engines, boilers and machinery 1892 (MS 225) and a collection of manuscript and printed material principally relating to the work of Joshua Field c.1805-1865.

Held by: London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Maudslay Sons and Field Ltd, 1820-1904, marine and mechanical engineers and boiler makers

Physical description: 11 files
Publication note:

For further information see:-


On Lambeth Marsh. The South Bank and Waterloo Graham Gibberd 1992 page 64 (Library ref 86.1 GIB)


The Survey of London Vol. XXIII Lambeth Part 1 1951 pp 62-63 (Library ref. 86.1 LCC)


County Hall. Survey of London Monograph 17 Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England 1991 page 11 (Library ref. 18.45 SUR)


Maudslay, Sons and Field as General Engineers by J. Foster Petrie in Transactions of the Newcomen Society vol. XV 1936 pp 36-61

Administrative / biographical background:

Henry Maudslay (1771-1831) opened his works in 1810 on land adjoining Westminster Bridge Road, Lambeth on what is now the site of Lambeth North Underground Station. In 1820 he combined with Joshua Field to form Maudslay Sons and Field, which became renowned both for the manufacture of machine tools and for the construction of marine engines and iron ships. They also leased the southern part of Pedlar's Acre beside the River Thames in Lambeth, which they used for the construction of iron ships and the fitting of steam engines to ships' hulls. On this site they built a pumping engine for Lambeth Waterworks in 1831 as well as constructing and launching in 1832 the "Lord William Bentinck" said to be the first iron vessel on the Thames. One of their marine engines powered the Great Western Steamship which crossed the Atlantic in 1838. Their Lambeth foundry was damaged by a fire in the 1840s. Plans for its restoration dated 1847 are held by the Greater London Record Office amongst the archives of the Metropolitan Buildings Office (ref. MBO/PLANS/167-169).


The records listed overleaf all date from the final years of the company from 1889 when it appears to have become a limited company until it finally ceased business in 1904. After several years of financial difficulty, the directors agreed on 4 October 1899 to the appointment of Ernest Cooper and W. Sampson as receivers and managers of the company. Freehold property in Burdett Road and Westminster Bridge Road, Lambeth was sold. Possession of the Lambeth yard on Pedlar's Acre reverted to Lambeth Borough Council. In 1909 it was acquired by the London County Council as part of the site for County Hall. Maudslay Sons and Field Limited continued to operate on a much reduced basis from their other yard in Tunnel Avenue, East Greenwich until 1904 when all activities appear to have ceased.


The demise of the company resulted in several suits in the Chancery Division of the High Court of Justice 1898-1900, Maudslay v. Maudslay Sons and Field Ltd, Norbury v. Maudslay Sons Ltd, and Bassett v. Maudslay Sons and Field Ltd. The records listed overleaf as ACC/3639 were presented to the Greater London Record Office on 8 December 1995 by the Lord Chancellor's Department under Section 3 (6) of the Public Records Act 1958.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research