PATIENTS RECORDS: Admission and discharge registers 1921-1952; Patients' admission and discharge books 1924-1930; Porters' admission and discharge books 1921-1930; Medical Superintendent's daily admission books 1924-1929.; Creed registers 1919-1933; Index registers 1937-1944; Nursery admission and discharge books 1930-1936; Registers of operations 1928-1936; Casualty registers 1940-1947; Premature discharge book 1930-1936; Mortuary register 1936-1946. NURSING RECORDS: Certificate books 1911-1932; Special events 1894. MISCELLANEOUS: Plan [c. 1940].
For the administration of the hospital 1881-1930 see the records of Mile End Old Town Board of Guardians (StBG/ME) and Stepney Board of Guardians Central Public Health Committee and the minutes of Mile end Hospital Sub-Comittee (reference LCC/MIN/2562-2564). Records after 1948 have been retained by Tower Hamlets Health Authority.
Records of King Edward's Hospital Fund for London which have been deposited in the Greater London Record Office include reports by the King's Fund visitors on Mile End Hospital 1950-1967 (reference A/KE/735/17, A/KE/738/14).
As these are public records, all registers of patients are closed for 100 years.
Immediate source of acquisition:
These records were collected from various sources: the patient registers were transferred from Mile End Hospital on 13th December 1985; the nursing records were among the records at the London Hospital in September 1984. Records dating from before 1948 were transferred to the Greater London Record Office in 1986.
For the history of the hospital, see Beyond Recall: The making of Mile End Hospital by Fraser Cleminson, published by Tower Hamlets Arts Project, 1983.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Workhouse on the Bancroft Road site was built by the Board of Guardians of Mile End Old Town in 1858 - 1859. The foundation stone of the new Infirmary, erected under the powers conferred by the Metropolitan Poor Act, 1867, was laid in February 1881, and it was opened in March 1883. A Nurse Training School was established in 1892. The institution was taken over by the military authorities during the First World War; during the military occupation, the facilities of the hospital were considerably improved. In 1930, when the Hospital passed to the control of the London County Council, it had 550 beds. With the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948, the Hospital became part of the Stepney Group; the Stepney Group Hospital Management Committee was merged with the Central Group in 1966 to form the East London Group. In 1968, Mile End Hospital, together with St. Clement's Hospital, was transferred to the management of the Board of Governors of the London Hospital. Its designation was changed to the London Hospital (Mile End). As a result of the re-organisation in 1974, it became part of Tower Hamlets Health District.