Records of Research Establishments
|Reference:||Division within ADM|
|Title:||Records of Research Establishments|
Records of the various departments, establishments, factories, laboratories and panels comprising the Admiralty's research establishments.
The series fall broadly into subject as follows:
Of advisory panels, departments, directorates, establishments, stations and units:
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
|Physical description:||36 series|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
Histories of most of the research establishments will be found with the series containing their records.
In 1977 several Admiralty research establishments were merged to form the Admiralty Marine Technology Establishment (AMTE). A further amalgamation of research establishments occurred in 1984, and AMTE became part of the Admiralty Research Establishment.
The Admiralty Research Laboratory (ARL) was opened in 1921 at Teddington on a site next to the National Physical Laboratory. Its formation was intended to concentrate on one site the research work which had previously been scattered among several Admiralty Experimental Stations (AES), principally Hawkcraig, Parkeston Quay and Shandon. The ARL performed physical research of a fundamental nature with naval applications, and was organised into groups dealing with particular fields of research, such as underwater ballistics and sea acoustic studies. In 1977, ARL was merged with other research establishments to form the Admiralty Marine Technology Establishment, which itself became a department of the unified Admiralty Research Establishment in 1984.