How to tag records
- Make sure you are signed in. If you are signed in to your registered account, your username will be shown in the top right of the screen. If you have problems signing in please contact us.
- Find a record you wish to tag. You can search or browse to find individual records.
- Add your tags. At the bottom of all record details pages, under 'Recognise something in this record' you can see an option to 'Add a tag' and, where they exist, existing tags for that record. Simply enter a tag and click 'submit'. You can add as many tags as you like. Tags are not transcriptions of historical documents. We use them to improve current descriptions and to help users to find information so we ask you to use accessible language to help other researchers find information.
What makes a useful and appropriate tag?
- Tags can be single words or phrases of between two and 100 characters in length
- Tags must be in English
- You can use only alphanumeric characters and round brackets, commas and hyphens (anything else will be rejected)
- Tags must be relevant and appropriate - they must relate to the entry tagged
- Tags must not be offensive or illegal
We use a spam and profanity filter to manage spam words and if you want to enter a valid tag which is being rejected please use the feedback form to ask an administrator to review the filter terms.
The tag will be saved and displayed in lowercase letters to maintain standardisation and consistency. We recommend that you add additional tags for homonyms (words that have the same spellings but different meanings such as seal (mammal) and seal (wax)), synonyms (words and phrases that have the same meaning but are spelt different - 'war' and 'conflict') and people and places with the same spellings ('London', 'London (Ontario, Canada)' and 'London (Christmas Island, Kiribati)'). All tags are made public and searchable and are displayed on the relevant details page.
Amend your tags
There are two ways to amend a tag. If you are on the details page you will need to delete the tag and then add a new one. Alternatively, go to your list of tags via your account page and you can rename the tag. Please note that this will rename all instances where you have used the tag.
Delete your tags
If you are signed in you can delete any tags you have created from the relevant details page by clicking on the 'delete' icon displayed against your tag.
See existing tags. When you are signed in, click on 'Your tags' at the top of the page. You can also see your tags from your account page by clicking on 'Your tags'.
You can see what our other users have contributed in our tags section. You can search existing tags to see what records they have been added to, browse an alphabetical list of tags, and see the most popular and the most recently added tags. To protect our users' privacy you cannot see who has added another user's list of tags.
What do I do if I find and inappropriate or inaccurate tag?
If you find any tags which you believe are incorrect or inappropriate, please click on the 'flag as inappropriate' link to alert an administrator. You are welcome to add your own tags to improve the description.
If you are signed in you can delete any tags you have created from the relevant details by clicking on the 'delete' icon displayed against your tag.
How do I delete or amend a tag someone else has created?
You cannot amend or delete some else's tag, but if you believe that one is incorrect or inappropriate, click on the 'flag as inappropriate' link to alert an administrator.
Are tags moderated?
We aim to view all newly added tags to check that they do not breach the code of conduct. We cannot check that they are correct if they have been applied correctly. We use a spam and profanity filter to manage spam words and if you want to enter a valid tag which is being rejected please use the feedback form to ask an administrator to review the filter terms. If you find any tags which are incorrect or inappropriate please click on the 'flag as inappropriate' link to alert an administrator.