Board of Education: Legal Branch: Enrolled Deeds
|Title:||Board of Education: Legal Branch: Enrolled Deeds|
Copies of Board of Education enrolled deeds transferring or granting lands for educational purposes made under the Mortmain and Charitable Uses Acts 1888-1892 or the Technical and Industrial Institutions Act 1892.
Most of the deeds related to Church of England public elementary schools though there are a few for secondary schools and one or two for playing fields.
The 70 deeds contain the name(s) of the grantor(s) and the trustees of the charitable foundation. The first managers are also nominated.
The volumes cover England and Wales. The majority of the deeds were enrolled in the earlier part of the period. There is an index at the front of each volume with the name and location of each foundation.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
Board of Education, 1899-1944
Board of Education, Legal Department, 1908-1924
|Physical description:||4 volume(s)|
|Physical condition:||The records are manuscript copies on vellum and are in good condition.|
|Access conditions:||Normal Closure before FOI Act:|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
Grants of land or buildings were made under the Mortmain and Charitable Uses Acts 1888-1892 or the Technical and Industrial Institutions Act 1892. The indentures were enrolled by the Board of Education.
The first managers were often the vicar and churchwardens and they were enjoined to provide religious instruction according to the tenets of the Church of England.
The schools were subject to periodic inspection by a diocesan official.