Admiralty: Victualling Yards, Portsmouth, Gosport and Royal Clarence: Records
|Title:||Admiralty: Victualling Yards, Portsmouth, Gosport and Royal Clarence: Records|
Records of the Weevil Depot and other victualling establishments in Portsmouth and Gosport, and their successor, the Royal Clarence Victualling Yard. The series contains the charter to the commissioners for the victualling of the Navy, 1752, and incomplete series of registers of contracts, orders, receipts and expenses, letters, staffing and pay.
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
|Physical description:||91 volume(s)|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
In 1761 the Admiralty purchased the Weevil Estate Portsmouth from Lord Holmes. The site was developed into the Weevil Depot where the first ship's biscuits were baked. It was consolidated in 1827 with other storage and supply depots in the Portsmouth area, on land acquired in the Gosport area to form the Royal Clarence Victualling Yard, Gosport.