Admiralty: Admiralty Experimental Station and Admiralty Research Laboratory: Correspondence and Papers
|Title:||Admiralty: Admiralty Experimental Station and Admiralty Research Laboratory: Correspondence and Papers|
The files in this series are arranged under the following headings: camouflage, degaussing (the neutralization of magnetism in ships, particularly as a defence against magnetic mines), early electronic research, optical and vision, rangefinders and underwater experiments. There is also a section of miscellaneous scientific papers and reports in which there is a file of correspondence between Sir Ernest Rutherford FRS and Professor William Bragg FRS during 1915 and 1916, relating to the directional hydrophone, a means of detecting submarines.
|Date:||1915 - 1977|
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
Admiralty Experimental Station, 1915-1921
Admiralty Research Laboratory, 1921-1977
|Physical description:||203 file(s)|
|Access conditions:||Open unless otherwise stated|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Ministry of Defence , from 1974
|Accruals:||Series is accruing|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The first Admiralty Experimental Station was set up in 1915 at Aberdour, Fife; it moved to Parkeston Quay, Harwich, Essex in 1917 and to Shandon on Gare Loch, Dumbartonshire in 1919. In 1921 it was established at Teddington, Middlesex, as the Admiralty Research Laboratory (ARL).
ARL was incorporated into the Admiralty Marine Technology Establishment, formed in 1977.