Admiralty: Nore Station: Correspondence
|Title:||Admiralty: Nore Station: Correspondence|
The records in this series, in the main, deal with correspondence to and from the Admiralty affecting the Station. The majority are either indexed or contain lists of contents
|Held by:||The National Archives, Kew|
|Legal status:||Public Record(s)|
Board of Admiralty, Nore Station, 1805-1961
|Physical description:||93 volume(s)|
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The Nore is the anchorage at the mouth of the River Medway, and became an important place of assembly during the Dutch Wars. The command which became established there was responsible for the River Medway, the dockyards at Sheerness and Chatham, and during most of its history, the entire North Sea. Smaller subordinate commands were later established at Yarmouth, Ramsgate (sometimes known as North Sea) and Leith during the Napoleonic Wars and later became independent for a while, but were taken back under the control of Nore Station.
During World War II, the station assumed great importance, with its site at the entrance to the River Thames and was used to serve the coastal shipping route to the ports of North Eastern England. It assumed even greater importance as a supply route to the Allied armies in North Western Europe after the invasion of 1944.
With the onset of the nuclear age, the station diminished in importance, and the Nore Command was finally closed on 31 March 1961.