This series mainly consists of files opened and closed in the Ministry of Supply for the period of its existence from 1 August 1939 to October 1959. The files principally concern the supply of materials, both raw and manufactured; various firms, committees and factories; overseas trade; and such international bodies as the Economic Commission for Europe and the Organization for European Economic Co-operation.
Control of raw material other than iron and steel passed to the Board of Trade on 1 April 1946; iron and steel followed in 1955. Control of non-ferrous and light metals went to the Ministry of Materials on 12 July 1951. Some files contain material added in these departments. There are also a number of files which originated in the Board of Trade before the Ministry of Supply was set up.
The series also contains a set of minutes and papers of the Explosives Development Policy Committee.
This series contains files from the first two of three different file registration schemes used by the Ministry of Supply between 1939 and 1959. The first scheme from 1939 used prefix numbers between 200 and 321.
The second scheme from 1946 used prefix numbers between 1 and 12.
For other files on the scheme from 1946 which used prefix numbers between 1 and 12 see: