Catalogue description Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway Company

Search within or browse this series to find specific records of interest.

Date range

Details of RAIL 750
Reference: RAIL 750
Title: Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway Company
Description:

This series contains records of the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway Company.

Date: 1837-1869
Arrangement:

Pieces 1-16 are listed in the order of the former British Transport Historical Record Office numbering system which appears here as the former reference; the remaining pieces were added later. Pieces 17-31 were referenced in the Great Western Railway Company's miscellaneous deed number series and consequently have been listed in that order. Other pieces have no former reference and are placed in chronological order.

Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Former reference in its original department: WSW
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Language: English
Creator:

Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway Company, 1845-1854

Physical description: 68 files, rolls and volumes
Administrative / biographical background:

The Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway Company (WSW) was incorporated by the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway Act 1845 which also authorised the construction of several railways. The first was to commence at a junction with the Great Western Railway at Thingley, Wilts and terminate in the "City of New Sarum" (Salisbury), the second commencing at a junction with the first line at Upton Scudamore, Wilts and terminating in the Park, Melcombe Regis, Dors, the third from Melksham, Wilts on the first railway to Devizes, the forth from Staverton, Wilts to Bradford, Wilts, the fifth from Frome Selwood, Som to Radstock, the sixth from Bradford Abbas to Sherborne, Dors and the seventh from Maiden Newton, Dors to Bridport Harbour.

The 1845 Act also gave the WSW the powers either to lease or sell itself to the Great Western Railway Company (GWR) and the GWR undertook a lease in 1845; this being confirmed by the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway Act 1846.

Therefore, it was the GWR that constructed the authorised lines, the first section being opened between Thingley Junction and Westbury on 5 Sept 1848. Other openings followed and the proposed lines were completed by 1 July 1859.

The GWR purchased the WSW by an indenture dated 6 Mar 1850; the WSW being dissolved by the Great Western Railway Act 1851.

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research