Catalogue description Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company

Search within or browse this series to find specific records of interest.

Date range

Details of RAIL 463
Reference: RAIL 463
Title: Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company
Description:

Minutes and reports of shareholders, directors and committees; deeds, agreements and plans; locomotive and rolling stock records; staff and accountant's records; correspondence and other records relating to lines to collieries.

Electronic images of selected pieces of these records can be searched online through our partner website. (Please Note: Pieces 210-249 and 305-315 only have been digitised).

Date: 1840-1967
Arrangement:

In Former Reference order.

Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Former reference in its original department: MSL
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Language: English
Creator:

Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company, 1847-1923

Physical description: 422 files, rolls and volumes
Access conditions: Subject to 30 year closure unless otherwise stated
Administrative / biographical background:

The Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company (MSL) was formed by the amalgamation of the Sheffield, Ashton under Lyne and Manchester Railway Company, the Great Grimsby & Sheffield Junction Railway Company, the Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway Company Junction Railway Company, the Sheffield & Lincolnshire Extension Railway Company and the Great Grimsby Dock Company under the powers of an act of 1846 (9 & 10 Vic cap.cclxviii).

An Act of 1847 (10 & 11 Vic cap.cxc) amalgamated the MSL with the Manchester & Lincoln Union Railway Company. Other acts of parliament enabled further railway and canal companies to be vested into the MSL and more railways were authorised.

The most important of these was the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway (Extension to London etc) Act 1893 which authorised the construction of a main line to London from the MSL's railway at Kirkby in Ashfield via Nottingham, Leicester and Rugby.

Under the powers of the Great Central Railway Act 1897 the MSL changed its name to the Great Central Railway Company to reflect its enlarged territory.

At the time of the name change, the MSL owned 353½ miles of railway (with another 207 miles in joint ownership with other railway companies) and 111½ miles of canal.

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research