The inspectors' reports, which are printed and published, are confined to the various regions covered by inspectors but later a general report, statistical table or summary precedes them. The reports were published as Command papers until 1919, as a parliamentary paper in 1920, and subsequently as Departmental publications.
The changes in the official status of the reports occurred when the powers of the Secretary of State, Home Department, relating to Mines and Quarries were transferred to the Board of Trade by an Order in Council dated 6 December 1920. The reports, which prior to 1920 had been submitted to the Secretary of State, were now submitted to the Secretary for Mines of the new Mines Department of the Board of Trade.
From 1921 to 1938 the records include annual reports of the Secretary of Mines. With the establishment in 1942 of the Ministry of Fuel and Power which absorbed with other functions the Mines and Petroleum Departments of the Board of Trade, the reports were submitted to the Minister.