Ordnance Office and War Office: Miscellaneous Entry Books and Papers
This series contains principally the following records of the Ordnance Office:
- entry books of reports of the Surveyor General with the decisions of The Board of Ordnance thereon, 1753-1859;
- entry books of warrants from the Master General of the Ordnance, and Orders in Council together with originals of the same, 1568-1857;
- orders, 1744-1863, including Military Orders, 1822-1855;
- engineer papers and letter books, 1785-1868;
- artillery letters and letter books, 1773-1862;
- observations, reports, etc on defence, fortifications, etc, 1681-1879;
- registers of issues of stores and arms at the Tower of London, Portsmouth, Chatham and elsewhere, 1571-1858 (but mostly dating from the seventeenth century);
- entry books of in- and out- letters, minutes, accounts, store ledgers etc of the Ordnance Office, Portsmouth, 1699-1890;
- the seal of the Ordnance Board, 1806;
- papers relating to patents, 1876-1904;
- lands, rents and buildings, 1732-1923, and the king's works at Purfleet, 1793-1834.
For continuation of this series see WO 370
War Department, 1855-1857
War Office, 1857-1964
Found an error? Suggest a correction to help improve our descriptions.
Users have tagged this record with...
Use the form below to include your knowledge of this record. If your description includes any citable references, please add these to the "Citable References?" field on the right, remebering to seperate each reference with a comma, for example (FO 176/1/1, FO 178/2/1, and so on...)
- WO Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General,...
- Records of the Ordnance Office and its successors at the War Office
- WO 55 Ordnance Office and War Office: Miscellaneous Entry Books and Papers