Board of Education and successors: University Branch and Teachers Branch: Registered Files (R and Other Series)
Registered files of the Board of Education and successors University Branch and Teachers Branch concerning the drafting and revision of the training of teachers regulations, the supply of trained teachers and the provision of training colleges, the formation of the Joint Examination Boards to administer the final examination of training college students and the introduction of building grant in aid of the establishment of training colleges.
The papers show the response to the Emergency Training Scheme launched in 1943 to meet the immediate post-war needs. Recorded are evacuation arrangements for training colleges and the effect of the second world war admissions. They illustrate measures taken regarding air raid precautions; other wartime grants; the provision of teacher training correspondence courses for members of the forces and prisoners of war; and the employment of ex-servicemen as physical training instructor. There are also papers concerning the implementation of the recommendations of the McNair Report published in 1944.
The series contains information on the various training college expansion programmes which took place between the years 1955-1967; the changes which occurred in the field of grants for both student and teacher training and the expansion of educational research.
Also included are records of various advisory bodies such as the National Advisory Council for the Training and Supply of Teachers, an additional standing committee (Standing Committee C) formed in 1957 which deals with teachers in further education establishments, as well as various sub-committees which were active in the later years.
Prior to 1904, regulations for the training of teachers appeared, with the exception of the regulations for the Instruction and Training of Pupil Teachers and Students in Training Colleges 1903, as articles of the Code of Regulations for Day Schools 1899-1902, the Code of Regulations for Public Elementary Schools and Training Colleges 1903 or earlier codes of regulations.
In 1904 Regulations for the Training of Teachers for Elementary Schools were introduced and were followed by regulations for other categories of intending teachers, and a statement of grant available for technological and professional work in universities (1911). These separate series of regulations were drawn together as the Regulations of the Training of Teachers in 1918, and have been subject to periodic revisions and amendments.
In 1942 a committee under the chairmanship of Sir Arnold McNair reviewed the whole field of the sources of supply, recruitment and training of teachers.
Further changes in the training and supply of teachers followed the Education Act 1944 (commonly called the 'Butler' Act) subsequently amended by the Education Act 1946 and the Education (Miscellaneous Provisions) Acts of 1948 and 1953. One of McNair's recommendations was the setting up of Area Training Organisations which commenced in 1947.
The National Advisory Council on the Training and Supply of Teachers was formed in 1949. Its two standing committees dealt on the one hand with the training and conditions of qualification of teachers; and on the other with their recruitment and distribution.
Found an error? Suggest a correction to help improve our descriptions.
Users have not yet tagged this record
Use the form below to include your knowledge of this record. If your description includes any citable references, please add these to the "Citable References?" field on the right, remebering to seperate each reference with a comma, for example (FO 176/1/1, FO 178/2/1, and so on...)
- ED Records created or inherited by the Department of Education and Science, and of related...
- Records of the Teachers Branches, and predecessor
- ED 86 Board of Education and successors: University Branch and Teachers Branch: Registered...