War Office: Records of Military Headquarters
Records of the War Office Military Headquarters
The records include:
- America, 1746-1785: muster rolls and copies of proceedings of the General Assembly of Connecticut relative to military dispositions, 1746-1747; original letters, returns, memorials, etc, from field officers and others in America to the adjutant general or deputy adjutant general in Canada, 1775-1785.
- Lille, 1798: entry book of orders and other records relative to British prisoners of war at Lille, with returns of prisoners, etc.
- General orders, 1811-1857: copies of extracts of orders issued at various headquarters overseas, bound by countries.
- Spain, 1810-1814: records of the offices of the quartermaster general and the adjutant general; journals of the Cadiz Force, etc.
- Calais, 1815-1818: original letters to, and entry books of letters from, the assistant quartermaster general at Calais relative to the establishment there for communications between the British Army of Occupation and England.
- China Expedition, 1840-1844: orders, appointments, distribution returns, casualties, courts martial, etc.
- Crimea, 1854-1856: entry books of orders and memoranda; letter and précis books of headquarters and of various divisions, brigades, etc; registers and extracts of courts martial; requisition, embarkation and other miscellaneous books; reports and papers relating to the various divisions, the cavalry, engineers, transport, medical and commissariat services, prisoners of war, etc; topographical reports; adjutant general's and quartermaster general's papers, etc.
- Crimea, Army Works Corps, 1855-1864: paymaster's ledgers, receipts for wages and gratuities, pay and cash books, registers of officers, clerks, foremen and men, etc.
- India, 1857-1860: entry books of out-letters of the commander-in-chief in India.
- Uganda Expedition, 1897-1898: journal of events and diaries.
- China, Boxer Rebellion, 1900-1901: correspondence of the commander of the China Field Force and some private papers.
- Bermuda, 1865-1869 and 1905-1908: correspondence and papers on defence of the islands.
War Department, 1855-1857
War Office, 1857-1964
Found an error? Suggest a correction to help improve our descriptions.
Users have tagged this record with...
Use the form below to include your knowledge of this record. If your description includes any citable references, please add these to the "Citable References?" field on the right, remebering to seperate each reference with a comma, for example (FO 176/1/1, FO 178/2/1, and so on...)
- WO Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General,...
- Records of the Armed Forces from commands, headquarters, regiments and corps
- WO 28 War Office: Records of Military Headquarters