Highways: Stopping Up Orders

MT 78
Highways: Stopping Up Orders

This series consists of Statutory instruments, some with seals and some with small plans, for the stopping up of highways under the Defence (General) Regulations 1939, the Requisitioned Land and War Works Act 1945, the Civil Aviation Acts 1946 and 1949, the Supplies and Services (Defence Purposes) Act 1951 and the Town and Country Planning Acts 1947, 1962, 1968 and 1971.

Related Material:
See also orders under local highways acts made by the Crown Courts of Liverpool and Manchester in:
J 108
J 109
Held by:
The National Archives, Kew
Legal status:
Public Record
Physical description:
382 papers
Access conditions:
Subject to 30 year closure unless otherwise stated
Immediate source of acquisition:
Department of the Environment , in 1978
Administrative / biographical background:

Before 1925, the only power to stop up or divert a highway existed under the 1835 Highways Act. The procedure under this Act was costly and protracted and in 1925, a departmental committee was appointed by the Home Secretary to consider legislation to replace the Act. A number of subsequent Acts provided alternative procedures for special purposes only, but the first Act to provide general powers to stop up highways was the Town and Country Planning Act of 1947.

Found an error? Suggest a correction to help improve our descriptions.

Suggest a correction for this record

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

Your details

If you provide your details, we will contact you within 10 working days if we cannot act on your suggestion

User Tags

Users have tagged this record with...

  • You need to sign in to tag records. If you don't have an account please register.

User Collaboration

Use the form below to include your knowledge of this record. If your description includes any citable references, please add these to the "Citable References?" field on the right, remebering to seperate each reference with a comma, for example (FO 176/1/1, FO 178/2/1, and so on...)

Citable References?