Catalogue description Department of Trade and Industry and Successors: Laboratory of the Government Chemist: Registered Files (LGC Series)

Search within or browse this series to find specific records of interest.

Date range

Details of PJ 10
Reference: PJ 10
Title: Department of Trade and Industry and Successors: Laboratory of the Government Chemist: Registered Files (LGC Series)
Description:

This series contains records of the Laboratory of the Government Chemist, an executive agency within the DTI, relating to its terms of reference, strategy and future.

Date: 1975-1981
Related material:

See also DSIR 26

Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Former reference in its original department: LGC series
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Language: English
Creator:

Laboratory of the Government Chemist, 1959-1996

Physical description: 2 file(s)
Access conditions: Open
Immediate source of acquisition:

from 2013 Department for Business, Innovation and Skills

Selection and destruction information: 3.1.4 Regulation and support of economic activity by government, including industry, services, agriculture, transport, energy, trade, and employment and productivity.
Accruals: This series is not accruing.
Administrative / biographical background:

The post of government chemist was created, responsible to the chancellor of the Exchequer as minister, and the laboratory was constituted as a separate Government Chemist's Department under the Treasury, though it was still frequently referred to as the Government Laboratory. The government chemist acquired statutory functions as an analyst or as a referee in cases of disputed analysis under such legislation as the Food and Drugs Acts and acts concerned with the use of chemically dangerous materials at work. Its headquarters were in central London, but it also maintained either a branch laboratory or a chemical station in a number of major ports.

The laboratory ceased to be a separate department in July 1959 when, following the recommendations of a committee under Sir Patrick Linstead, it was transferred to the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research as the Laboratory of the Government Chemist. It later passed under the control of the Ministry of Technology in 1965, of the Department of Trade and Industry in 1970, of the Department of Industry in 1974 and the second Department of Trade and Industry in 1983, becoming an executive agency in 1989. The modern laboratory of the Government Chemist provided analytical, investigatory, and advisory services and policy support to government departments, public institutions, local authorities and other organisations. These services were concerned with revenue protection environmental protection, public health and consumer protection. The Laboratory also carried out research and development programmes for government and industry.

The Government Chemist continued to hold statutory functions as official referee analyst under various acts of Parliament, and co-ordinated government activity in analytical science.

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research