Transferred to the Royal London Hospital Archives by the Secretary of the "Marie Celeste" Samaritan Society on 15th October 1984
Administrative / biographical background:
This Dispensary was founded in 1782 in Great Alie Street, moving to new premises in Leman Street in 1858. Owing to Wartime difficulties it closed in September 1940 and in 1944 the building was leased to the Jewish Hospitality Committee. After the War it was proposed that the Dispensary should be transferred to the London Hospital; but, since this proved unacceptable to the Charity Commissioners, the assets were transferred to the "Marie Celeste" Samaritan Society by a Charity Commission scheme, sealed in February 1952.