Dr George Harry Moreton was born in Devonport on August 17th 1864. His musical talent was evident from a very early age and after being taught by his mother, he became organist of Stoke Damerel Parish Church at the age of ten.
Thereafter he became a chorister and continued to study the organ under W. G. Hannaford and John Hele. At the age of twelve he was appointed organist of Stoke Parish Church.
In 1879 he was articled to Dr George B. Arnold, organist of Winchester Cathedral and in 1882 returned to Devon as organist and choirmaster of St George's Church, Stonehouse and later of St Andrew's Church, Plymouth.
He became an Associate, and later, Fellow of the College of Organists. He was awarded the degree of Bachelor of Music from Durham University.
In 1899 he was appointed Borough Organist, in which capacity he organised and played in weekly concerts for many years.
Dr Moreton was awarded an honorary doctorate in 1932. At this time, the BBC broadcast many of his concerts, recitals and talks which were widely appreciated as is shown by correspondence and contemporary newspaper reports. Dr Moreton died on September 8th 1961 after almost a century devoted to music.