Chave and Jackson began this incarnation when Mr Chave purchased the shop from a Mr Duggan in 1865.
Mr Chave owned the shop until 1879, when he sold the store to Mr J J Jackson who called the business Chave and Jackson.
Mr Chave went on to be elected to the town council in 1886, became the mayor in 1891 and finally became a Justice of the Peace in 1893. He died in 1909.
Mr Jackson kept the shop until his death in 1927; coincidentally the same year that his former apprentice Mr Norman Gardiner qualified as a pharmacist. Mr Gardiner then ran the shop before going into semi retirement in 1975.
Within these prescription books are details of the evolution of medicines over the past century. During the time this store was open it saw the change in treatment from leeches to penicillin. As well as showing the sphere of influence of a typical store in Hereford it also gives an insight into the mechanics of this important period in medical history.