Billinge-and-Winstanley Urban District Council, 1894 - 1974
Billinge-and-Winstanley UDC, 1894 - 1974
Billinge Urban District Council
Billinge, Greater Manchester
Winstanley, Greater Manchester
Administrative / biographical background:
Billinge Local Board was formed in 1872, and its district comprised the townships of Billinge Chapel End and Higher End and also part of Winstanley.
The Local Board was succeeded in 1894 by an Urban District Council of the same name, and covering the same area; it later became known as Billinge-and-Winstanley Urban District Council.
Responsibility for the area was divided in 1974; Winstanley and Billinge Higher End became part of Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council and Billinge Chapel End St. Helens Metropolitan Borough Council.
The following catalogue is mainly of Billinge Local Board records, the U.D.C. records being in the charge of St. Helens Local History Librarian, St. Helens Library. A list of the records at St. Helens is available on request please ask for the Recs A1 catalogue.