Land at Stanmer was given sometime between 765 and 771 by Ealdwulf, king of Sussex, to Hunlaf for the purpose of endowing a monastery, probably that at South Malling. In 1086 'Stanmere' was held by the Archbishop of Canterbury and of him by the canons of South Malling. This land continued in the possession of the college until it was surrendered with the rest of the site and possessions of the canons to Henry VIII, who in 1545 granted these to Sir Thomas Palmer (Victoria County History of Sussex 7 239).
On 30 March 1838 a faculty and citation were granted to allow the Earl of Chichester to pull down and rebuild Stanmer church and a further faculty and plan for the new church were issued on 24 October 1839 (West Sussex Record Office Ep.V/3/16 page 36, Ep.V/4/2, Ep.V/3/16 page 40).
The church was rebuilt during 1838-1839, probably by Ralph Joanes of Lansdowne Place, Lewes, architect, although the plan of the church and churchyard was drawn by J Butler, architect.
Summary of contents
PAR485/1/1 Pre-1812 registers; 1550, 1558-1825
PAR485/1/3 Marriage registers; 1820-1966
PAR485/2 Papers relating to registers; 1784-1949
PAR485/6 Income of the benefice; 1930