John Carter and Sons Ltd, 1847-1970, boot and shoe manufacturers
Immediate source of acquisition:
Accession No: 1977/9
Condition of deposit: Removed from closed company premises by Archivist in 1977.
Administrative / biographical background:
The firm of John Carter seems to have begun trading in 1847, being established at No 38 Kingsland Road (renumbered No 58 in 1866) by 1850. In 1866 the firm also had premises at 24 Stanhope Street, Clare Market, W.C. It later expanded on the Kingsland Road site, finally occupying Nos. 58-62.
The Company was incorporated in 1896, and the articles of association describe the business as 'Curesses and leather merchants, factors, manufacturers, grindery and shoe mercers, dealers, boot upper and boot and shoe warehousemen, agents, factors and manufacturers'.
The Company expanded in the early part of the twentieth century and acquired several other boot and shoe firms, Dorman & Co in 1924, Lindrea & Co in 1927, and T.H.Walker Ltd in 1935. Some of these associate companies lost large amounts of money in the late 1960s and may have contributed to the closure of the whole group in 1970.
For short histories of the constituent firms see separate notes with each firm.