This accession only contains account books from 1910-1965. Order book 405/12 has "Firmin & Sons, Cork Street" printed on each page but it is clearly a tailor's order book. M S Gotlop Ltd were customers of Firmin & Sons, button manufacturers, whose records are also held by Westminster City Archives (Accession 1346).
Records donated by Mr B N Lidgett of Lidgett & Sons, 49 Whitehall, London SW1, 2 April 1969
Administrative / biographical background:
M S Gotlop Ltd were civil, naval and military tailors who first appear in the Kelly's Post Office Directories in 1896 at 341 Strand under the name Maurice Gotlop. As M S Gotlop the company moved to 9 Strand where it remained until 1907. At that time the business relocated to 32A Charing Cross, and made a final move to 49 Whitehall in 1931. From Kelly's Post Office Directory it appears that M S Gotlop changed their name to Lidgett & Sons in 1955. The commercial section of the directory lists "Lidgett & Sons (M S Gotlop Ltd)". The company records reveal that there were members of the Lidgett family working for M S Gotlop prior to that date. Lidgett & Sons remained at 49 Whitehall until 1969.