Holland and Sherry Ltd, 1863-, Woollen Fabric Merchants
East, Landon and Holland, 1845-1858, Woollen Fabric Merchants
Landon and Holland, 1858-1863, Woollen and Fabric Merchants
Immediate source of acquisition:
Records deposited on permanent loan by Mr A Holland of Holland and Sherry Ltd, 7 - 8 Savile Row, London W1, on 3 February 1989
Administrative / biographical background:
Stephen George Holland and Frederick Sherry first entered into partnership as woollen warehousemen at 10 Old Bond Street in 1863, according to the commercial directories. However, the origins of the company are to be found earlier. Holland joined Charles James East and William Landon at 34 Sackville Street in 1845, on the retirement of Henry Vigurs East.
Landon had previously joined the Easts in 1836. East, Landon and Holland moved from Sackville Street to 10 Old Bond Street in 1848. East resigned from the partnership in 1858, and Landon and Holland carried on until 1863, when Landon was replaced by Sherry. Holland and Sherry moved from Old Bond Street Street c 1886 to 7 Warwick Street where they continued until 1982 when they moved to 7 - 8 Savile Row. The company is variously described in the directories as woollen warehousemen, woollen and silk merchants, woollen and fancy waistcoat warehousemen, men's mercers and woollen fabric merchants.