The records include administrative records, chaplaincy records, title deeds and other legal records, financial records and patient records.
1868 - 1998
For records of East London Hospital for Children see RLH archives collection EL. Records of Hackney and Queen Elizabeth Group Hospital Management Committee are held by St. Bartholomew's Hospital Archives Department.
East London Hospital for Children and Dispensary for Women
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records listed below were transferred to The Royal London Hospital Archives at the time of the closure of the Hackney Road site in 1997.
Administrative / biographical background:
This hospital was founded in 1867 by Miss Mary Elizabeth Philips and Miss Ellen Philips, who were members of the Society of Friends. A house in Virginia Road, Bethnal Green, opened on 12 July 1867 as the Dispensary for Women and Children. It was soon decided that only children would be treated and as the North Eastern Hospital for Children the work was transferred to 125 Hackney Road, providing 12 cots. In 1870 the freehold of 327 Hackney Road was purchased and the hospital grew on that site, on the corner of Hackney Road and Goldsmith Row. The hospital was re-named the Queen's Hospital for Children in 1907. It opened a country branch called the Little Folks Home (named after the Little Folks magazine) at Bexhill - on -Sea in 1911. This was evacuated to Woking during World War II
The Hospital merged with the Princes Elizabeth of York Hospital, Shadwell in 1942, and re-named the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children. Thereafter the hospital functioned on two London sites: Queen Elizabeth, Hackney Road; and Queen Elizabeth, Shadwell. A further site was opened at Banstead, Surrey, in 1948. The Shadwell site closed in 1963. The Queen Elizabeth Hospital Group was formed in 1948 to administer the Queen Elizabeth Hospital on its three sites at Hackney Road, Shadwell and Banstead. On closure of the Shadwell site in 1963 it was amalgamated with the Hackney Group to form the Hackney and Queen Elizabeth Group. This arrangement lasted until 1968 when the Queen Elizabeth was detached from Hackney and placed under the Board of Governors of the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street. The hospital functioned as part of the Hospitals for Sick Children until 1994 when Gret Ormond Street became an NHS Trust. Queen Elizabeth was managed by East London and The City Health Authority until 1996 when it joined The Royal Hospitals NHS Trust (name later changed to Barts and The London NHS Trust). The Hackney Road site closed in 1997 when the bulk of it's services transferred to The Royal London Hospital as the Queen Elizabeth Children's Service.