Widdowson & Co. was started in 1885 by Thomas B. Widdowson in premises at 2 Friar Lane, Leicester. In 1894 he removed to 38 King Street, and took into partnership Mr. Arthur C. Cheshire, previously foreman to Mr. Edward Shardlow, Printer and Lithographer, St. Martins, Leicester. About 1897 they moved again to 16/18 Millstone Lane. By 1934 they had made their final move to 38 Millstone Lane where, in about 1950, they were joined by S. R. Neal & Co., Ltd., Printers. Widdowson & Co. became a Limited Company in 1931.
The work done by the Company was mainly Commercial Printing, Lithography, and Design. The majority of their customers were local, but the high standard of their colour printing earned for them custom from firms outside Leicestershire.