Box Lane Congregational Church, Boxmoor, Hemel Hempstead Hertfordshire
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records were deposited in the Record Office in May 1975 and May 1992, by the United Reformed Church History Society and the Thames North Trust.
Accessions 1468, 2716
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Administrative / biographical background:
It is thought that Box Lane Chapel had its origins in a small conventicle built in Box Lane in about 1662, when the non-conformists were being persecuted. However, the building which the church occupied until its closure in 1969 was built just prior to 1697, as the first trust deed of 1697 states that the chapel had recently been built.
It was always a small fellowship but in 1967 numbers had reached a low level and closure was discussed. Closure was finally agreed by the Church Meeting on 28 April 1969 and the final service held on 29 June 1969. The buildings passed into the care of the Hertfordshire Congregational Union.