Taplen and Paddock, Chester, printers and bookbinders
Prior notice required for access
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records listed below were given to the Chester City Record Office on 17 June 1975 by Taplen and Paddock via Mr. P. Gamble, Tarvin.
Administrative / biographical background:
The firm of Taplen and Paddock, printers and bookbinders, was established at 33 Eastgate Row North, Chester, in 1895 : by 1910, the premises were renumbered 35 and by 1919, 21 Eastgate Row North. The original partners were Josiah Taplen of 4 Hamilton Place and John Paddock of Tower Wharf (see Register of Persons entitled to vote ..., Sept. 1897, p. 129, Ref. CEE/19). In 1926, a deed of partnership was drawn up between Josiah Taplen of 10 Walpole Street, Publius John Paddock of Eton Villa, Cambrian Road, William Taplen Rowley of Church Street, Upper Northgate Street and William Hubert Paddock of Field House, Kingsley Road, printers, all of Chester (CR 199/116).
About 1927, the firm moved to 14 Cuppin Street where it remained until its closure in 1975.