Organisation and background. Methodist churches or "societies" are grouped in "circuits" under a superintendent minister, usually with other ministers to assist him, such ministers normally having charge of one or more of the societies making up the circuit. The superintendent minister himself has pastoral charge of one or more of the societies and is ex-offocio chairman of each Methodist trust in his circuit.
1807 Formation of the Great Queen Street circuit from which in
1822 was formed the Southwark Circuit which included the society at Brixton, the first reference to which was in the Southwark Circuit Book,
1823 when in January it started in a cottage, 417 Coldharbour Lane. This removed after a few months to a small building in the rear of a house on Brixton Hill, nearly opposite the entrance to New Park Road.
1826 The site on the east side of Brixton Hill was bought and the first chapel was built.
1829 Lambeth Circuit formed out of the Southwark Circuit and included Brixton.
1856 A new chapel was built on the same site mentioned above, on Brixton Hill.
1861 Brixton Hill Circuit formed by division from Lambeth and included what later became the Mostyn Road Circuit (Sept 1871) and Sydenham Circuit (1880). Other churches included in the original Brixton Hill Circuit were Barry Road, Westow Hill, Penge and Sydenham.
1863 Brixton Hill Chapel englarged
1870 Brixton Hill Chapel licensed for marriages
1871 Mostyn Road Circuit formed (first meeting see IV/55/2/1/1). In 1932 the United Methodists, the Primitive Methodists and the Westeyan Methodists United into the Methodist Church and in South London this meant that certain churches from geographically larger United and Primitive circuits were absorbed into the Wesleyan circuits.
On the decline of the Methodist churches in the inner belt with the movement of the more affluent congregations to the outer suburbs churches like Mostyn Road were absorbed into the South London Mission and Mostyn Road Circuit ceased to exist.
In 1963 the Brixton Hill and Barry Road circuits were reorganised, Brixton Hill Curch moving into the South London Mission and the remainder of the Brixton Hill Churches uniting with the only two still functioning Barry Road Churches to form the present Streatham and Dulwich Circuit. The circuit records were left in 22 Becmead Avenue by the Superintendent of Brixton Hill Circuit who became superintendent of the new circuit.
[The above is partly based on notes made by Mr Belton of Streatham who deposited the records.]