Catalogue description St Clement Danes Holborn Estate Charity records

This record is held by City of Westminster Archives Centre

Details of 1576
Reference: 1576
Title: St Clement Danes Holborn Estate Charity records

The property records are composed of deeds and correspondence files and refer to a geographical area centered on High Holborn.






Trustees', managers' and committee minutes


Trustees' and managers' administrative records


Trustees' and managers' financial records










Legal case of Attorney General v Bovill






Educational Endowment Trust Governors minutes


Governors' minutes


Governors' administrative records


Governors' financial records


Letter books of the Clerk to the Governors


London County Council papers


Holborn Estate Grammar School


Holborn Estate Girls School


School staff records




Trustees' and committee minutes


Administrative records


Financial records


Drury Lane Public Dispensary Fund


Earl Craven Pest House Charity


Louie and Cecilia Holiday Fund


Louie and Cecilia Holiday Home


Louie Pennington Bickford Flower Girls Fund


St Henry Convalescent Fund


Westminster Philanthropic Society






General development files


Craven Hill and Craven Mews


Dane Street


Eagle Street


Holborn Kingsway intersection


High Holborn property


Index to property records

Date: 1669-1983

The records have been divided into separate volume and box sequences. The sequences have been sub-divided into the records of the Trustees, Governors, the Wesminster Amalgamated Charities and a property section.

Related material:



The records of the Holborn Estate Charity were deposited on permanent loan in October 1989 by the Trustees of the Charity. Also deposited were the records of the Westminster Amalgamated Charities established in 1961 and those of its constituent charities prior to amalgamation; Jonathon Barlow's Charity, Drury Lane Public Dispensary, Louie and Cecilia Holiday Fund, Louie Pennington Bickford Flower Girl's Fund, Albert Reitlinger's Charity, St Henry Convalescent Fund and Westminster General Aid in Sickness Charity (formerly Westminster General Dispensary).


Many records relating to the Charity have been deposited in separate accessions, details of which have been included together with a list of related material in the Local History Collection.

Held by: City of Westminster Archives Centre, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

St Clement Danes Holborn Estate Charity

Physical description: 119 boxes and 171 files
Access conditions:

Records are available only with written permission of the Clerk and Chief Executive, St Clement Danes Holborn Estate Charity, School House, Drury Lane, London, WC2B 5SU.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records were deposited on permanent loan by Mr P Bircher, Clerk to the Trustees, St Clement Danes Holborn Estate Charity, 4/5 Gough Square, London, EC4A 3DE in August 1989.

Administrative / biographical background:

The Holborn Estate Charity was founded in 1552 as a parish charity when the Churchwardens of St Clement Danes purchased some property on the north side of High Holborn for the sum of £160. The income derived from this property was used to distribute alms amongst the poor people of the parish. As the charity grew the scope of its activities widened. In 1844 the Trustees were granted the authority to establish new schools for the benefit of the inhabitants of the Parish. The Trustees decided to establish a Boys Grammar School and a Middle Class Girls School in Houghton Street. The schools were opened in 1862 but subsequently the Girls School was forced to close in 1916 and the Boys School relocated to Ducane Road in Hammersmith. The school was re-established at Chorleywood in Hertfordshire in 1975.


A number of almshouses were acquired by the Trustees c 1700 on a site now occupied by the Law Courts. However, in the 1840's the Trustees decided to build a block containing forty almshouses, with a Chapel, bath house and laundry in Garratt Lane, Tooting in south-west London. By the 1960's the need for modernisation compelled the Trustees to erect forty-six self-contained flats at Sydenham Hill between 1967-1969.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research