The bulk of the surviving records are financial and there is a good series including liquidation papers. The volume of mining leases (D5394/3/1) however is particularly useful in tracing the development of the colliery site and also Brindley Village whilst the technical report, drawn up in 1934 (D5394/6/2), provides a very detailed account of the colliery and its assets at that time, together with an excellent description of Brindley Village. The village was developed by the colliery company to provide housing for its workmen.
West Cannock Colliery Company Ltd, c1869-1951, Staffordshire
N.B. RECORDS LESS THAN 50 YEARS OLD ARE CLOSED TO PUBLIC INSPECTION
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by Haden, Stretton, Slater, Miller, Solicitors, Lichfield
Administrative / biographical background:
The West Cannock Colliery Company, based at Hednesford, sank its first shafts in 1869, having leased land with the minerals below from the Marquis of Anglesey. Further new shafts were sunk in 1914. Mergers between some of the Cannock Chase collieries were considered in the 1920s and early 1930s but the Company survived independently and its assets were transferred to the National Coal Board on nationalisation in 1946. In 1951 the Company went into voluntary liquidation.