Catalogue description Firmin and Sons Limited

This record is held by City of Westminster Archives Centre

Details of 1346
Reference: 1346
Title: Firmin and Sons Limited

Business and family papers

Date: 1749-1961



Directors'. minute books


Rough minute books


Minutes of meetings


Partnership agreements


Company's legal status


Share capital












Partnership accounts




Order books


Sales account books


Price list and bills






Pattern books




Business correspondence




Legal disputes


Wills and settlements

Held by: City of Westminster Archives Centre, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Firmin and Sons Limited, London, button, badge and military regalia manufacturers and merchants

Physical description: 156 Files
Immediate source of acquisition:

Records were deposited on permanent loan by Mr Amey, Firmin & Sons Limited, 100 Crawford Street, London in February 1984.

Administrative / biographical background:

The first identifiable owner of the business was Thomas Firmin (1632-1697) who operated from Three Kings' Court, Lombard Street, City of London. He was succeeded by Nathaniel Firmin who by 1702 had relocated the business to The Red Lion, "over against Norfolk Street", Strand. Following Nathaniel's death in 1754, his son Samuel Firmin moved the firm to The Wheatsheaf, near Somerset House, Strand (later 153 Strand, 153/155 Strand from 1885) in 1760. Subsequently in 1894 the head office again moved to 108/109 St Martin's Lane and then to 8 Cork Street in 1908. The firm continued to be run by members of the Firmin family until it became a Limited Company in 1875. Among the family members who were either partners or directors in the firm were Philip Douglas Firmin (1765-1826), Philip Venner Firmin (1797-1874), Philip Smith Firmin (1821-1913), Charles Edward Firmin (1843-1924), Gerald Edward Firmin (born 1874), Gerald Victor Firmin (born 1906) and Jack Wilmot Firmin (born 1909).


The firm's operation rapidly expanded to include badges and military regalia as well as buttons. Their first factory was opened in 1823 at Clare Court, Drury Lane (also known as 12 White Hart Yard and 20 Stanhope Street) where it operated until 1894 when it was moved to 108/109 St Martin's Lane. Another factory was opened at St Paul's Square, Birmingham in 1882, later moving to Globe Works, Villa Street, Birmingham from 1892. A West End branch was operated at 13 Conduit Street 1838-1879, then at 47 Warwick Street 1879-1904 and 6 Warwick Street 1904-1915. An additional branch was run in Portsmouth (to supply the Navy) at 21 Lion Terrace 1908-1916, then at 6 The Hard 1916-1940 and from 1940 at 28 Union Street.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research