Under the Public Health Act  a Rural Sanitary Authority for Leigh Union was established in 1872 for the townships of Astley, Culcheth, Golborne, Kenyon and Lowton. [See RD Lei for Golborne, 1872-1894].
In 1894, an Urban District Council was set up for Golborne township, the other townships going to make up Leigh Rural District Council, established at the same time. [See RD Lei].
In 1933, when Leigh R.D.C. was dissolved, the township of Kenyon, Lowton and part of Culcheth were transferred to Golborne.
On 1st April, 1974, the Urban District Council, in common with thirteen other authorities, disappeared and was re-placed by Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council, one of ten district councils in the county of Greater Manchester.