History of Turner, Martin & Symes/Danes Hill & Perks
by Mrs K A Threlfall of Messrs Daynes Hill & Perks
The firm of Turner, Martin & Symes appears to have started with a solicitor called Arthur Henry Aldous who was born in Harleston, Norfolk in 1821. Apparently, he qualified there as a solicitor in 1843 and moved to Ipswich about 8 years later. His offices were originally at the corner of King Street and Princes Street on the site of what is now the Chelsea Building Society. He also used his home address of 2 Park Terrace (later renamed Fonnereau Road) as his original office. His first partner was Joseph Pearce who was an accountant as well as a lawyer and Manager of Eastern Counties Permanent Benefit Building Society (a forerunner of the Britannia Building Society). The partnership lasted from 1868 to 1873. Aldous remained a sole practitioner until 1883 when he was joined by Alan Turner who had been his salaried assistant for the previous two years. 'Aldous & Turner' continued to practice at 41 Fonnereau Road for the next four years.
In 1887, Aldous died aged 65. Within the space of a few months, Turner had taken the tenancy of a house in the town centre at number 6 Elm Street. These premises remained continuously in the occupation of Turner, Martin & Symes and then Daynes Hill & Perks until they relocated to Churchgates House, Cutler Street in June of 1991.
Between 1888 and 1898, Arthur Aldous' son James William Aldous was in partnership with Alan Turner but he left in 1898. By that time Stanley Turner, Alan Turner's younger brother had joined him as an assistant solicitor. He became a partner by 1898 and the firm changed its name to 'Turner and Turner'. Stanley died unexpectedly young at the age of 33 in 1901 leaving Alan Turner again practising on his own. In 1907, James Mason Martin became Turner's new partner. The firm's name became 'Turner, Turner & Martin' and by then had bought both 4 & 6 Elm Street.
The purchase of 4 & 6 Elm Street freehold was in 1902 and the price was & #163;1,600. At that time the properties were two residences with gardens.
In 1926, Alan Turner retired as senior partner. Martin was left to continue the practice aided by a new assistant solicitor, Thomas Alban Symes. By 1929 Martin & Symes were formally in partnership and the firm had its sixth name 'Turner, Martin & Symes'.
The firm of Turner, Martin & Symes continued at the same premises and also in number 7 Elm Street which was across the road from 4 & 6 until 1991. There were of course numerous changes in the partnership and the firm expanded considerably during this period.
At the beginning of May 1991, the firm merged with Daynes Hill & Perks, a large firm of solicitors based at Norwich. The old firm of Turner, Martin & Symes essentially continued under the same name with the addition of some new partners from Norwich and in June 1991 the whole firm relocated to Churchgates House, Cutler Street, Ipswich where it continues in practice.
The removal from Elm Street necessitated a great deal of clearing and, for this reason, the opportunity was taken to lodge numerous bundles of old deeds at the Record Office for the benefit of future researchers.