Email service disruption: Due to planned maintenance our email messaging service will be unavailable for periods this weekend (25-26 September). For confirmation of digital download orders, record copying and paid search requests, visit the order confirmation page.
Please note that one month's notice will be required before viewing any of these items, because the collection is being stored off-site.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Acc. No: 1985/39, 1985/53.
Date of deposit: June 1985.
Deposited by: Hackney Buildings Trust.
Condition of deposit: Donation
The records listed here were part of a larger group of records discovered in the former premises of Dottridge Brothers by the Hackney Buildings Trust, who notified the Hackney Archives Department. Flooding had damaged a large part of these records and sampling was carried out on some of the surviving series of records e.g. wages ledgers.
See also the local history collection (ref. 332.29) for a company history 'Dottridge Brothers Ltd: A Century of Service, 1835-1935' and for a general sales catalogue printed c 1922.
Administrative / biographical background:
Dottridges was founded in 1835 by Samuel Dottridge. He formerly owned a builder's and contractor's business in Hoxton, but would arrange funerals for friends as a sideline. This side of the business increased and having obtained premises in East Road called Dorset Works, an old coaching yard, he founded the firm of Dottridges.
In 1855 Samuel was joined in the business by his eldest son, (also called Samuel) and later by his other sons, Edwin, William and Henry. When Samuel retired, the four brothers became partners and the firm named Dottridge Brothers Ltd.
The business gradually expanded, going into wholesale trading, eventually dropping retail trading altogether. The firm acquired a timber yard and woodworking mill. Stores and agencies were set up abroad. Other businesses were bought up and subsidiary companies established such as David Dickie and Sons in Glasgow and Phillips and Sons in Brighton.
In 1985 Dottridge Brothers vacated the premises in East Road and are now based in Hoddesdon, Herts.