Donated by Harmood-Banner, Cash, Stone & Mounsey, Chartered Accountants, Liverpool, in April 1964. Acc.1105
Administrative / biographical background:
By her will of 17 January, 1727, Ann Molyneux, widow, of Liverpool, left to the Mayor of Liverpool and his successors, the sum of £200, to invest on land security for the benefit of poor prisoners for debt and to the Rector of Liverpool and his successors, the sum of £300 to invest similarly for the benefit of old sailors and sailors widows of Liverpool, especially those in almshouses. The trustees invested the money in five fields known as "Moss Lake" and later "Rectors Fields".
By the early nineteenth century, the estate was needed for building and an act of 9 Geo.IV cap.39 (15 July 1828) was passed, enabling the trustees "to grant Building and Repairing Leases and for better vesting the Estates in them, for confirming Exchanges and other Purposes, for the benefit of the Charities."
The estate comprised the area bounded by Crown, Myrtle, Grove and Falkner Streets. For the subsequent history of the Charity. See : J.H. Porter: An Address given to the Trustees of the West Derby Waste Lands, pp. 20 - 21.
According to the Liverpool Red Book, 1970, the Molyneux Charity is administered, currently, by Lowndes & Co, Solicitors, of Liverpool.