Items 2/1/1-3,5,6 and 2/2/2/1 deposited by Messrs Mounsey Bowman and Sutcliffe, Carlisle; 30 March 1965.
Item 2/1/4 deposited by the Revd T Park, St Bees; 26 January 1976.
Items 2/2/1/1-7 purchased from Mr A Foringham, West Woodburn 14 July 2000 (3973).
Administrative / biographical background:
The Theological College was founded in 1816 as a training college for non-graduates who wished to become ministers in the Church of England; the vicar of St Bees parish was the ex-officio Principal. The College closed around 1895 and from 1899 most of the trust funds were henceforth used to supplement the endowment of the Benefice of St Bees.