Between 1912 and 1948 each county and county borough had an Insurance Committee, which administered the provision of free health care to those in employment earning below a certain sum. With the formation of the National Health Service in 1948, the Insurance Committee became the Executive Council, still one for each county and county borough except that in some cases county and county town amalgamated to form one Council. This lasted until the local government reorganisation of 1974, when each county and metropolitan district had a Family Practitioner Committee. In 1990 the Committee became the Family Health Services Authority, with new powers of management.
The above information was given by Mr Eric Broadbent, recently retired from Sandwell F.H.S.A.