Catalogue description Company of Bricklayers, Wallers and Plasterers
This record is held by Tyne and Wear Archives
|Title:||Company of Bricklayers, Wallers and Plasterers|
GU.BR/1/1-5 Company Ordinaries 1599 - 1770
GU.BR/2 Draft Ordinaries, n.d. [18th century]
GU.BR/3/1-5 Minutes (including orders, fines, accounts and apprenticeship details), 1636 - 1957
GU.BR/4 Orders, 1712 - 1732
GU.BR/5 Copy Orders, n.d. (c.1786 - 1860)
GU.BR/6/1-2 Common Council Orders, 1665 - 1671
(1 paper, 1 parchment)
GU.BR/7/1-4 Stewards Accounts, 1725 - 1972
GU.BR/8 Rental Accounts, 1780 - 1826
GU.BR/9/1-4 Register of Members, 1772 - 1967
GU.BR/10 Apprenticeship Indenture of Thomas White, 1839
GU.BR/11/1-3 Deeds, including lease of Upper Close and bonds with Company Members, 1618 - 1727
(2 parchments, 1 paper)
GU.BR/12/1-9 Deeds pertaining to lime-kilns at Sandgate, Newcastle, 1717 - 1757
GU.BR/13 Articles of Agreement between Wallers and Bricklayers Co. and Masons Co., n.d. [c.1641/1642]
GU.BR/14 Articles of Agreement between the Company and other firms, 1654 - 1728
GU.BR/15 The Chains of Slavery F Marat, 1774
|Held by:||Tyne and Wear Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||15 SERIES|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Accessions 761, 802, 817, 2181
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The Company probably dates from an ordinary of 12 November 1454, when it was decided that it would meet annually on St. Mathias' Day (24 February). This early ordinary was cited in that of 1660.
The Company was often in disagreement with the Mason's Company and attempts were made to amend this [as at GU.BR/13] by drawing up agreements for 'cooperation between the two societies'.
From about 1711, the Company's meeting place was Neville Tower. Prior to this they had met at White Friar Tower, in a room below that in which the Masons met.
The Company owned property in Bird-in-the-Bush Yard and Silver Street, until 1826.
|Link to NRA Record:|
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know