Those items marked accession no.2101 were transferred from Atherton Library
Atherton, Greater Manchester
Administrative / biographical background:
Atherton Local Board was formed in 1864. The Local Board was superseded by an Urban District Council, whose first meeting was in December 1894. At the same time, the Atherton boundary, which until then had extended down Leigh Road almost as far as Windermere Road and then turned to go east and then south as far as Brown Street South in Leigh, was pushed back to Orchard Lane. For records of the Leigh and Atherton Joint Sewerage Board, see MB Lei.