William Henry Scott and William Murdoch Turner originally formed Scott and Turner Ltd as W H Scott and Co, a margarine importers sometime between 1876-1886. The firm was based at the White Hart Yard, 16 Cloth Market, Newcastle until after the purchase and rebuilding of 4 Gallowgate in 1891-1892, later Andrews House.
Scott and Turner Ltd swapped margarine importing for pharmaceutical manufacturing before 1915. They were the Newcastle agents for Andrews Liver Salts, a product which gave its name to Andrews House.
After World War 2 'tin box section' premises were opened at Edgefield Avenue, Fawdon. In the late 1950s Winthrop Laboratories also set up home at Edgefield Avenue. Scott and Turner Ltd's Fawdon site was subsequently subsumed by Winthrop (later Sanofi Winthrop). Scott and Turner left Andrews House in 1961.
Scott and Turner themselves had departed the business long before 1961. Turner sold his interest in the Gallowgate property to Scott in 1907, and Scott died on 23 October 1922.
Site of Andrews House, Gallowgate, Newcastle
[4 Gallowgate was rebuilt before Scott and Turner took occupation in 1892 (for plans see TWAS T186/14852). 7 and 8 Gallowgate were subsequently combined with the building. The property was rebuilt again between 1934-1936 as Andrews House]
Purchase of 4 Gallowgate in 1891
[The 4 Gallowgate purchased by Scott and Turner in 1891 previously consisted of 4 separate properties. 3 of these were combined by Joseph Arundale between 1809-1826; the 4th was added sometime between 1843-1870. This 4 part whole itself became part of the larger site of Andrews House. DX885/1-3 deal with the 3 parts purchased by Joseph Arundale; DX885/4 with the combined property purchased by Richard Grainger from Arundale's executors; and DX885/5 with the complete property as held by William Elliott in 1870]