Records of A.J. Thornton, clock manufacturer and engineer of Old Road, Stone and Oulton Heath, Stone
A. J. Thornton opened a clock making business in Stone in 1926 which continued until his death in 1982. He was elected a Fellow of the British Horological Institute in 1957 and specialised in the construction of large public clocks in Mid and North Staffs. such as the 'Teapot Clock' in Fenton and the Normeir 'Tyre Clock' at Hartshill.