Edwin Danks founded his company in Oldbury, making tanks and tar boilers, in 1862. It was a rival to the Netherton Boiler Works, founded by his father and uncle.
The company was a success and in 1896 became a limited company. In 1910 the company was bought by Babcock & Wilcox, now Babcock Energy Ltd of Renfrew, Scotland. In 1970 the company became part of B.D.P. Group.
The factory site was on the SW. side of Dudley Rd, opposite the junction with Albion St.