The items are the legal papers and correspondence of the Company from the years indicated and were acquired by the Local Studies Department in June 1983.
Administrative / biographical background:
In 1825 William Heap began the family concern which was soon to achieve remarkable success under the control of his son, Samuel. Samuel died in October 1873 and the business passed to his sons Charles and William.
By 1923, upon the death of Charles Heap, the Company was involved in bleaching, dyeing, fulling and finishing from Mills at Caldershaw, Spotland Bridge, Healey Hall and Greenfield (in addition to a factory in Williamstown, Mass., U.S.A.).
Two of Charles' sons, Samuel and Frederick Charles subsequently became Chairmen of the family business. The Company was acquired by Courtaulds Ltd. in 1965