The donor first joined the Company in 1952. He became Technical Personnel Officer in 1966 and succeeded Mr A J Sage as Personnel Manager in 1971, finally leaving the Company in 1972.
Air Trainers Ltd was formed in 1946 in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, apparently as successors to JVW Ltd which, since 1936, had been importing and servicing the American-made Link trainers for the RAF. It moved to Aylesbury in 1946. As well as manufacturing the Link trainer under licence, the company pioneered the development of DC analogue computing techniques for flight simulators, the first of which was delivered to the RAF in 1953. By 1954 the workforce had grown to 500. In 1956 Link Aviation of New York, USA, acquired a controlling interest. In 1959 the Link interest was transferred to the parent company, General Precision Equipment Corporation, and the name of the company changed to General Precision Systems Ltd. By 1963 there were 950 employees in Aylesbury occupying 120 000 square feet. In 1967 the firm became a subsidiary of Redifon Ltd, a member of the Rediffusion organisation, and was renamed Redifon Air Trainers Ltd. In 1972 production was transferred to the Redifon Flight Simulator Division, Crawley.
Chronological History of Company
1936 JVW Corporation Ltd set up at 30 Chester Street, London SW1
1938 Moved to 16 Buckingham Palace Gardens, London SW1
[1938 Establishment of subsidiary company - Civil Air Training School Ltd]
1939 Moved to Aston Clinton
1942 Moved to Meesrs Albertini Ltd site in Leighton Buzzard
1946 Moved to Cubitt works, Aylesbury
1946 Dec Air Trainers Ltd formed to continue work of JVW Co Ltd
1949 Additional factory opened on Aston estate, Aylesbury
1955 Moved from Cubitt works to Bicester Road, Aylesbury
1956 Name changed to Air Trainers Link Ltd after Link Aviation USA had acquired the majority shareholding
1959 Name changed to General Precision Systems Ltd after Link interest passed to General Precision Equipment Co.
1967 Name changed to Redifon Air Trainers Ltd after company became a subsidiary of Redifon Ltd
1972 Production transferred to Redifon Flight Simulator Division, Crawley